Thursday, October 2, 2008

Homework

Ah, the dreaded homework subject. I have to admit, working with students at an after school program, which is supposed to focus on helping students with their homework, has made me think twice about hating it. I look at some of these students, who are at an age where they should know things, and they're clueless. Why? Because they don't focus on their homework. They don't go home and sit at their kitchen table and do math or spelling. No, they come to Think Tank (my job), try to rush through homework, so they can be picked first for dodge ball. UM HELLOOO!! HOW ABOUT YOUR EDUCATION!? It's like pulling teeth getting students to sit down and do homework, and honestly, I understand. You sit in school for 8 hours following rules, and at 3 o'clock you just want to let loose. Trust me, I've been there, we ALL have. I know I'm guilty of begging my mom to stay at the park for just a little bit longer, to prolong homework. But when it came down to it, I sat at my table and I was focused, mainly because I didn't have a choice (gotta love those strict Italian parents).

Looking back, I know I hated homework. I used to moan and whine when the teacher would write the assignments on the board that would be due tomorrow. But as a future teacher, I can say that I do believe homework is necessary. It helps to reiterate what was taught in class. The extra practice really does help (as much as it pains me to admit it). Homework is just as necessary as assessing students. And wait, they go hand in hand! A teacher can assess what level the students are comprehending their lessons, by looking at how well they do on their homework. To be honest, homework is a way to really see what the student is learning, or it should be. In class, you always have someone helping someone, or the teacher doing a small informal tutoring session. At home, the students have a chance to show what they really learned by using their and only their brain. (Ok, so this is in an ideal world - minus the parents who do their kids homework, minus the group of friends that get together and do it, minus checking the Internet for answers.) I guess it comes down to trusting that the student is using the homework to benefit their education.

4 comments:

Dr. Luongo said...

Jaclyn,

This issue *is* a tough one. We have ALL had assignments (homework and classwork) that have not been pleasant. However, were they necessary? maybe....maybe not...


It is refreshing to see you looking at homework from an educational perspective, though. As a teacher, you will be able to create assignments that help, not frustrate your students.

Excellent posting!

Anni said...

I agree with you. Homework, can be a good form of assessment, you just have to watch out for parents helping and by helping I mean doing. I know for me personally as much as I hated homework, I was always better at in than classwork, because there was really no competition. I think that in order to assess homework, the homework actually needs to be necessary. For Example is it necessary for students to to have students write their spelling words 5times each, no not really. it my experience and other children that I know it has never helped and in most cases it made them dread doing homework and spelling.

Michelle said...

I understand your frustration. I've worked with different after-school programs, with students from pre-k-12th and the similarity with most of the students are that they rush through their homework, without truly taking their time out to do their best work. Homework, for most students, are viewed as something teachers use to occupy students' free time. I personally, disagree. Although some homework assignments may be boring or reptitive work that was completed in the classroom, homework is something given to help students so teachers can gauge their understanding and knowledge on topics. Also, it helps students practice their writing skills, mathematical skills, reading skills, etc. outside of the classroom. I don't think most students think about this, though. As teachers, we have to motivate and encourage students to view homework as something helpful, and at times, fun, for students to become more engaged and willing to invest more time into homework assignments.

sandy said...

yes, you are right about the homework helping me out. Parents doing their kids homework that is so true. I actually saw a teacher aide at one of the school I sub. in doing the kids' home work... thats even worst.