Wednesday, September 10, 2008

What is assessment?

Let's be honest..assessment = test and tests = nervousness. I understand that there's a need to evaluate students and see just how much they're really learning, but regardless, when a student hears about being tested, most of the time - it turns to panic mode. I will admit that when it comes to getting assessed, I memorize what I need to know for the exam and that's it. Once that test is over, that so-called "knowledge" goes right out the window.

As future teachers - we need to break that mold. I don't want to give my students that same anxiety I had sitting in those desks. There's so many ways to assess if students are learning what's going on. I found this website that gave some idea : http://serc.carleton.edu/introgeo/assessment/strategies.html

There's got to be a way to make assessing children FUN..right?

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I agree that as future teachers, we need to instill positive messages about assessment, especially tests. Many students fear tests because not only are they constantly tested, but teachers place major emphasis on passing or failing tests, therefore creating anxiety and putting pressure on students. I think if teachers approach tests and assessment with a more positive, creative, and even fun attitude, students will be more receptive and encouraged.
--Michelle